About the course
Professor Debdeep Mukhopadhyay, a faculty from the department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur has designed this course on Cryptography and Network Security covering all the fundamental concepts of Cryptography and Network Security. The term Cryptography which translates as "secret writing," refers to the science of concealing the meaning of data, so that only specified parties understand a transmission's contents. Cryptography has existed for thousands of years; for most of history, however, the users of cryptography were associated with a government or organized group and were working to conceal secret messages from enemies. These days, millions upon millions of secure, encoded transmissions happen online each day and cryptographic standards are used to protect banking data, health information, and much more. Without cryptography, e-commerce as we know it would be impossible. Since online security threats evolve so quickly, there are dozens of different schools of thought on how best to use encryption to enhance network security not just for governments, but for businesses and end users, too. This course comprises of video lectures which can be viewed online and offline as per the convenience of the user. It also has questions/assignments for hands on practice. So, this makes it all together a complete package.
In this course, the user will learn about the underlying principles of cryptography and network security. In addition to this, it develops the mathematical tools required to understand the topic of cryptography. Beginning from the classical ciphers to modern day ciphers, the course extensively covers the techniques and methods required for the proper functioning of the ciphers. The course also covers the construction and cryptanalysis of block ciphers, stream ciphers and hash functions. This course also defines one way functions and trap-door functions and presents the construction and cryptanalysis of public key ciphers, namely RSA. The key exchange problem and solutions using the Diffie-Hellman algorithm are discussed. Message Authentication Codes (MAC) and signature schemes are also detailed. The course covers the modern trends in asymmetric key cryptography, namely using Elliptic Curves. The course concludes with the design rationale of network protocols for key exchange and attacks on such protocols.
- After learning the course on Principles of Human Resource Management, the user will be well versed with fundamentals principles of Cryptography and Network Security.
- The user will be able to teach and train the others who are looking to learn the fundamental concepts of Cryptography and Network Security.
- The user will be able to create take advanced courses on Cyber Security and network security, and effectively implement them practically.
- Learning the principles of Cryptography and Network Security will help the users to crack job interviews in this field, the user will be on demand due to less availability of the Network security professionals.
- The user will be awarded with a certificate from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. The user can add that in his/her curriculum vitae.
This course on Cryptography and Network Security is for everyone who is interested in learning the fundamental principles and concepts of Cryptography and Network Security. The course can be taken by:
Students: All students who are pursuing any technical/professional courses, and looking for a career in Network/Cyber Security, can take this course.
Teachers/Faculties: All teachers/faculties who want to learn the fundamental concepts and principles of Cryptography and Network Security, and are passionate to deliver their learning to their students, can take this course. The certificate will be another feather in your hat.
Professionals: All working professionals, who want to enhance their skills and are interested in making a switch over to Network/Cyber Security domain, can take this course.
With the advent of the World Wide Web and the emergence of e-commerce applications and social networks, organizations across the world generate a large amount of data daily. Data security is the utmost critical issue in ensuring safe transmission of information through the internet. Also network security issues are now becoming important as society is moving towards digital information age. As more and more users connect to the internet it attracts a lot of cyber-criminals. It comprises authorization of access to information in a network, controlled by the network administrator. The task of network security not only requires ensuring the security of end systems but of the entire network. In this paper, an attempt has been made to review the various Network Security and Cryptographic concepts.
In today's world, crypto professionals are in great demand both within the government and private sector. NSA, FBI, CIA, think tanks and other federal government and defense and intelligence contractors are always on the lookout to hire these individuals. Companies offering encryption, digital data services and authentication tools are heavy in hiring crypto and security practitioners. The demand across all industries for increased computer security is growing, and cryptography is a subcategory within the career field of information security. Cryptologists are in demand in the military forces, government agencies, technology companies, banking and financial organizations, law enforcement agencies, universities and research institutes. Depending on the profile of the organization one is involved with, the area of functioning varies. So it is worth having a go at it.
- Scholarship: The scholarships are provided to the applicants based on their merits.
- 24X7 Access: Users can view lectures as per their own convenience.
- Online lectures: 22 hours of video lectures is available in the course, with high quality videos which can be viewed online and offline.
- Updated Quality content: The course has been designed by Professor Debdeep Mukhopadhyay, who is a faculty from the department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. The course content is latest, easy to follow, and in accordance with the current industry demands.
Each lecture will have a quiz which is nothing but a set of multiple choice questions. Apart from that, there will be a final test. The final test will also be based on multiple choice questions.
The user is evaluated on the basis of overall scores achieved in each lecture quiz and the scores achieved in final test.
For getting the course completion certificate, the user will have to complete all the lectures including the quizzes. After completing the lectures, the user will be given an opportunity to take the final test. After successful completion of the test, the online certificate will be generated for the user, and the certificate in hard copy will be sent to the user.